03 Aug Fun Facts About Language
Languages can be complex and are constantly evolving. We use language every day to communicate with others, but do you know these fun facts about language? Here are some fun facts about language from around the world:
- 2,700 Languages are spoken around the world with over 7,000 individual dialects.
- Chinese is the most widely spoken language (over 1.2 billion speakers) and has over 50,000 characters.
- The most translated book is the bible, available in 2,454 languages from around the world. The first printed book was the Gutenberg bible in German.
- There are more than 200 fake languages which were created for different films such as Klingon in Star Trek or Elvish for Lord of the Rings.
- Khmer, a language spoken in Cambodia, has the biggest alphabet with 74 letters.
- About every two weeks, another language dies. 2,400 of the world’s languages are considered to be dying out and there are more than 231 languages that are extinct.
- South Africa has 11 official languages, the most official languages for one country.
- The top languages on twitter are English, Spanish and Japanese.
- In French, there are 13 ways to spell the “o” sound.
- In Vatican City, you can use the ATM in Latin.
- There are 6 official languages in the United Languages.
Do you know any other fun facts about language? Comment below and share with us.